Exemption 18

Ex 18


  • This exemption is for people who want to work on a domestic commercial vessel without the required certificate of competency.
  • You do not need to apply to AMSA for this exemption. 
  • You will need to keep all the supporting documents on board and ready to be presented to authorities if required.
Exemption 18 will allow you to perform specified duties without a certificate of competency that would be required for specified sailing vessels if you:
  • are at least 16 years of age
  • make a declaration of medical fitness
  • hold an approved first aid certificate
  • hold at least a Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency issued by the Australian Communications and Media Authority, or equivalent qualification.
  • General training
To be eligible for exemption 18 you must have completed either: 
  • Elements of Shipboard Safety  
  • the Yachting Australia–Royal Yachting Association (YA-RYA) Safety and Sea Survival course
  • International Sailing Federation Offshore personal survival course. 
Note: Yachting Australia is now known as Australian Sailing, and the International Sailing Federation is now known as World Sailing.

Certificates and additional training If performing the duties of either: 
  • the master of a sailing vessel  less than or equal to 24 metres long, with operating power less than 75 kilowatts up to 100 nautical miles from shore or 
  • the mate of a sailing vessel less than or equal to 35 metres long in the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone or the territorial sea.
You meet one of the following two options:
  1. You held a Master 5 (Sail) certificate on 30 June 2013.
  2. You must have completed one of the following courses:
  • MARC005—operate inboard and outboard motors (or equivalent)
  • YA–RYA Diesel Engine course and the YA Powerboat Handling course
  • YA–RYA Diesel Engine course and the RYA Level 2 Powerboat course.
You must also hold one of the following certificates:
  • a YA-RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competence
  • a Yachtmaster Ocean certificate of competence
If operating a sailing vessel less than or equal to 12 metres long with operating power less than 75 kilowatts and less than or equal to 15 nautical miles from shore you must hold either:

a YA-RYA Yachtmaster Coastal certificate
a Coxswain (Sail) certificate