MED 2 12th December $1999
“Whats involved in the MED2?”
You can engineer with 750 kW Diesel Engines to 200 nautical miles.
What sea service do I need?
- You need 180 days on commercial boats with diesels greater that 150kW plus a taskbook or 360 days without a taskbook.
- If you’ve got a Coxswain 1 you need 120 days on commercial diesel vessels above 150kW plus a taskbook or 240 without a taskbook.
“How does the course run?”
One of the first questions we get asked is “How long is the course?” We have moved to blended learning, which means a mix of in house group training, phone and electronic contact sessions with zoom.
Every student arrives with different abilities, skill and knowledge levels. We assess these and create an individual training plan which is only as long as needed to ensure you have the ability and knowledge required by regulations to carry out your job. During the course we re-evaluate where you are at, in case your plan needs adjusting with more/less training.
Our average student, aged 25 with lots of boating behind them, and lots of work and life experience could probably expect to complete 2 weeks face to face with practical training, and 5 zoom sessions.
- Work effectively with others
- Maintain marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary systems
- Undertake basic maintenance of electrical systems
- Complete engine room tasks
- Maintain hull out of water
- Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment
- Operate deck machinery
- Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- Manage fuel systems
- Operate and monitor marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary systems
- Operate electrical systems
- Follow environmental work practices